Saturday, 15 December 2012

little things


Lately I’ve been dwelling on small things, thinking and pondering on how often I tend to overlook them in my search for something better and bigger and more exciting. Yet when I look back over my childhood, and see where I am now, the small often insignificant things were the defining, life building areas of my life.


: photography with my dad, and the artistic photos he would take: quiet Sunday afternoons with my parents drinking coffee from cups and saucers while listening to classic music : books always surrounding me and the excitement of trips to old bookstores, gathering piles of vintage books : long walks through fields and pathways : acorns and pinecones and nuts gathered each autumn and displayed through the house : plant pots tucked away on top of bookcases and flowers in vases always on the table : candles flickering on the dinner table each night :


when I look back at these life moments I can see just what a large part they have been in making me me.  The photos I love to see and take : the flowers and plants which I couldn’t imagine living without : the books spilling off my bookcase and piled in boxes under the bed : the quiet afternoons I love on the Sabbath reading and at peace : seeing beauty in nature and the joy of walking … all these are just part of who I am and where I am because of the little things in my life.


It’s caused me to stop and think though about how I’m viewing the small things right now in my life. How I should be appreciating and loving this season – no matter how long or short it will be. Days flew by so fast and I get so caught up in the life, without really living.  I’m praying that I will be aware of the small moments, the little things that are so often glimpses of God and His love to us. I’m hoping that as I do, I can also photograph them and share them with you.


‘Life is rich’ my Oma told me the other day. And it's amazing how many small things make it so! 

5 comments:

  1. So very true! Thank you for sharing what is on your heart. :-)

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an inspiring post! And you're right - some of my favourite memories are of 'small moments'! Oh and I love the photos, especially the first one. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so true Abbie - just the other day, I was out in the garden and looked up to discover two owls just sitting there staring at me - it was only a 'small' thing, but just brought so much delight! Thank you for the reminder to cherish those small things! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two little owls!! So cute! :) What a lovely thing to see! Thank you so much for your comment! x

      Delete
  4. Lovely thoughts and I adore the first photo! x

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you! Comment moderation is on though, so it may take a while before your comment is published. Thank you!