Thursday, 7 February 2013

tea with me...


If you were to have tea with me today, you’d most probably have it with my sisters too. Living here at home, as an older single daughter, has its many blessings. And today, you would share in that too! The folding may be resting on the corner of the couch, the dishes left drying in the rack, but the kettle would be on, and just possibly there may be some scones!

And yet tea with me this week would involve quiet moments. Sometimes it’s hard to find the words to say when you feel so inadequate yourself. Days flash by with their daily tasks, and crammed in are moments of failure, of regret, of tears and pain. These are the moments not many see or find. The moments we all try so hard to tuck away and forget, to disguise and wash over. Who wants to be seen when you are falling apart? And yet, these are the moments everyone has. And everyone hides. Its hard to be real, when you and i are faking. We both know it, we both feel it. And we both find it hard to overcome. This unveiling, this vulnerability doesn’t come easy. its hard to not revert back to the superficial. And yet…what freedom there is when we share…really share. When we do open up and find, that you and I struggle and fight with the same battles. The hasty impatience reply to a sister, the quickness to justify oneself, the pride that so easily comes with each thing we do. It’s easy to then slip the other way – to be discouraged and weary. To wonder if its just me, if this walkway is shared with anyone else. And then, in the quietness, in the time spent with the Lord and his Word, comes the answers. Not all at once, not always what I want. And yet, always so right. And so, if you were to have tea with me this week, I would share with you of the struggles, and yet also the answers. The hope that comes with the forgiveness of sins, the joy that comes in the morning, and the love that nothing here on earth can compare with.

‘Having therefore these promises,
dearly beloved,
let us cleanse ourselves
from  all
filthiness of the flesh and spirit,
perfecting holiness
in the fear of God.’
{2 Cor. 7:1}


{tea with me is a link up with Em at teacups too – a fortnightly ‘tea’ post.}

6 comments:

  1. I have loved tea-ing with you Abbie! And I'm glad I can leave my folding out, and a few dishes on my sink, and not feel judged ;)
    I loved this post, your real-ness and honesty, it's refreshing, and just what I love to come away with after tea with a friend... thank you so much for joining in, look forward to more tea with you in the future! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Em! It was an enjoyable post to ponder & write :)

      Delete
  2. I loved this post, Abbie. So true, it's so easy to show others what we want them to see, but so much deeper and honest and fulfilling to share more. I look forward to tea with you hopefully not too far down the track! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you Andrea! I really hope we can catch up soon too! :) x x

      Delete
  3. Vulnerability. Something that I have also been pondering recently. We should catch up for some tea (and photography) sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Bethany! I was just thinking about our photography date the other day & hope we can do it soon! Will be in touch! x

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you! Comment moderation is on though, so it may take a while before your comment is published. Thank you!